GST Registration Overview : Who should register?
In the GST Regime, businesses with a turnover of more than Rs. 20 lakhs (Rs 10 lakhs for North East and hill states) are required to register for GSTIN. Registration is also mandatory for certain types of businesses, which can be viewed in detail here.
If the organisation is liable to register under the GST regime and carries on business without registering for a GSTIN, it is considered an offence under the GST Act,2017 and heavy penalties are levied.
Getting your GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number) will usually take 2-6 working days after registration.
The Benefits of GST Registration?
If you are not liable to get a GST number, there are still many benefits of getting one. These are:
- Your business is legally recognized as a supplier of goods or services.
- You can offset input tax credit on goods or services used, against the final payment of GST due to the GST Authority; This can be done with the help of proper accounting.
- Small businesses and startups can register with E-Commerce companies and enter into online sales without having to concern yourself with the tax effects of selling goods in multiple states.
- All businesses can make interstate sales without any restrictions. (For Interstate sales, it is mandatory to register under GST irrespective of the limit of Rs. 20 Lakhs for registration).
- Under the GST Regime, businesses no longer need to obtain multiple registrations (service tax, VAT, etc;), as a single GST registration, would be applicable across India; Thus, a unified tax code has significantly improved the ease of starting a new business in India.
- All businesses which have successfully registered under GST are allotted a unique GSTIN, which can be quoted on invoices.