Documents related to business income
Documents related to your house property
Documents to determine your income from other sources including interest
Documents   to determine your capital gains income
Documents  to claim deductions

1. All Bank Account 


2. Credit Card Statements 

3. Form 26AS

4. Cash Book Daily Cash Register

5. Details of Sale/Purchases Invoices.

6. Previous year 

Trial Balance, Balance 


7. Previous year 

Income Tax Return

8. Details of 

Fixed Assets/ Capital Assets    acquired/sold during the year

9. Proof of contributions eligible for deduction under Chapter VI A    of 

Income Tax Act, 1961.

Tax or Advance Tax Paid.

10. Details of investment (shares, 

mutual fund etc.) 

purchased, sold and held. DEMAT    Statement, ifAvailable


Original expense vouchers -    Typical List of expenses

1. Telephone and Internet bills

2. Rent for office space

3. Work-related meal and travel expenses

4. Advertising, promotional & printing exp

5. Depreciation on assets such as laptops or computers

6. Conveyance expenses for work

To    calculate rent income earned from multiple properties owned

1. Rent Agreements of all    properties you are earning rent 

2. TDS on Rent/Form 16A or    16C or 26AS

3. Property tax or house tax    receipts of all properties

To claim deduction against    housing loan

1. Interest certificate in    case of loan

2. Re-payment schedule 

3. Ownership Details of    property

4. Address of property

5. Pre-construction details 


Likely    required documents

1. Bank Statements

2. Interest on FD - TDS    certificate from Bank (Form 16A or Form 26AS)

Unlikely    documents required depending on case by case basis

1. National Saving Certificates

2. Agricultural income    details

3. Lottery winning

4. Clubbed income

5. Dividend income/ warrants    (bank statements)

If    you have Capital gains from sale of property or land

1. Deed of Purchase of    property/land

2. Deed of sale of property    land

3. Receipts of improvements    made (if any)

4. Expenses that may have    occurred in transfer of the land/property

5. Re-investment purchase deed. 

If    you have capital gains from Capital market investments (bonds, shares,    derivatives etc.)

1. Holding statement as of 31st    March of the financial year for which your are paying taxes and previous    financial year.

2. Capital Gains snapshot    provided by your depository

3. Contract notes

If you have capital gains    from other capital assets

1. Purchase Documents

2. Sale Documents

3. Cost of Improvement documents    (If any)

To    claim deductions under section 80C – if you have made any one of these    investments furnish documents for the same

1. Public Provident Fund

2. National Saving    Certificate


4. Equity Link saving scheme    (ELSS)

5. Contribution to Provident    fund

6. Children’s School tuition    fees

7. Stamp duty registration    charges

8. Principal repayment on    housing loan.

9. Investment in    SukanyaSamriddhiYojana

10. Tax saving investment in    FD

Unlikely    investment options for tax deduction

1. Taxing saving donation    receipts 

2. Senior Citizen Saving    scheme

3. Education Loan Interest    Payment under section 80E